Stop the presses – having just one teacher who cares about them can stop a high school student from dropping out.
Obvious? Sure. But how many obvious things aren’t we doing in schools?
Among the conclusions:
- Students generally like school and want to graduate.
- Some feel financial pressure to drop out and get a job.
- Some are driven out of school by a fear of violence.
- Students believe that some of the challenges they face are caused by a lack of resources in their school.
- Students who believe a teacher or coach cares about them are more inclined to stay in school.